Z32 Front Brake Swap
You can increase the stopping power of your front brakes by using the front rotors and calipers from the later 1990-1996 300zx.
- Line Wrench
- 17mm Socket
- Cutoff wheel or Hacksaw
- Breaker Bar
- 30mm Axle nut socket
Parts used for install
- 1990 26mm Non turbo front calipers
- 1987 - 1989 Turbo front Hubs
- 1990 - 280mm x 26mm Front rotors
- 0.170" Spacer
Z32 Caliper InformationThe Following is some information on what year Z32 came with what Calipers. This way you know what you are getting.
- The "26mm Aluminum" calipers were used ONLY on 1990 non-turbos. They used a 280mm x 26mm rotor.
- The "30mm Aluminum" calipers were used on 1990 Twin-turbos and ALL 1991-1992.5 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo alike). They used a 280mm x 30mm rotor.
- The "30mm Iron" calipers were used on ALL 1992.5-1996 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo alike). They also used the 280mm x 30mm rotor.
- Jack the front of the car up and secure on jackstands.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove brake caliper and line from the car.
- On models other than 87+ turbo, Remove the front hub assembly and replace with the 87+ turbo front hub.
- The Z32 Caliper is much longer than the Z31 caliper. By Cutting an inch or so off the dust shield the caliper will now fit without rubbing.
- Install the Z32 Front Rotor by slipping it on the wheel studs.
- Next install the Spacer so the Caliper will be centered.
- Now to modify the caliper so the Z31 Brake lines will work.
- First separate the two halfs of the caliper.
- Then remove the piston in front of the Fluid inlet.
- Once piston is removed this is what youll see.
- Just take a punch or similar and tap the orifice out from inside out.
- I found it nessassary to stick a phillips in the front of the inlet and turn the orifice to "break"it loose.
- This is what you are removing.
- Install the caliper and bleed the brakes.
- Install the wheels and lower the car.
Other Information on this swap
This swap is known to work with the 87-89 turbo and non turbo wheels. At this time it is unknown if the 84-86 stock wheels will work without rubbing the new caliper.
Sources Used on This Page:
- Written By: 88Hybrid
- Spacer Picture by:DeleriousZ
- Wheel Fitment by: Satan